A felony is a classification of crimes that are frequently classified to be the most serious kind of offenses. It can be either violent or non-violent. However, not everyone is aware of what it really means.
So what is felony?
Felony is not just a simple misdemeanor. Rather, these are illegal acts that are much graver than misdemeanor crimes thus it is punishable by:
- Charges or fines
- Other grave measures
In the U.S, a person who is charged with a felony is punished in accordance with the level of the crime perpetrated.
What happens to a person charged with felony?
If an individual is charged with a felony, it would be in their best interest to find a criminal defense attorney in Iowa. They will be most helpful in further explaining the gravity of these charges to you.
So what are the top 20 common types of felony in the U.S?
The top 20 felony cases in the list includes:
1. Drug Abuse Disobedience
2. Property Crimes (Auto Theft, Burglary, Housebreaking, Fire-raising of property, and theft)
3. Driving under the Influence (DUI)
4. Property crime – Theft
6. Disorderly Behavior
7. Violation of Liquor Law (Selling of liquors to minors)
8. Violent crimes (Manslaughter, Murder, Robbery, Assault, and Force Rape)
9. Exposed or Public Drunkenness
10. Aggravated Attack
14. Weapon Violations (Carrying concealed weapon, such as a gun without a license)
15. Curfew and Loitering Law Violation
17. Domestic Violence and Child Abuse
18. Stolen Property Violation
19. Motorcycle Theft
20. Forgery and Counterfeiting
This list only shows some of the most common types of felonies in the Us. This compilation is far from being exhaustive. There are still other kinds of felony crimes that a person could face, including kidnapping.
If you or someone you know is facing felony charges, be in touch with a criminal defense lawyer in Iowa, such as Cory Goldensoph. Learn more about him. Read on.